Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Setting Apart by President Willard

Our last Family Picture taken with Elder Rasmussen
April 6, 2010

On April 5th, we called up President Willard to see if Tyler could be set apart on April 6th so we could go out to Provo and he could say good-bye to his siblings. President Willard said that he would do it over in his office at the Seminary building right after school on Tuesday.
On Monday night, Jason Gillman came over and gave Tyler some helpful hints on packing his suit cases for the MTC. Believe me, it was quite a mess and we were hoping that he could get everything packed in three suitcases.

The bedroom with all the mission stuff.

"Mom, no more pictures please!!!"

Elder Rasmussen with President Willard

Dale, Grandma Ruth, Elder Tyler Rasmussen,
Becky, Grandma and Grandpa Tonks

Strawberry all white and beautiful.

Tuesday came and we were getting everything finished up before we drove to Roosevelt. We called his grandparents to have them meet us at the Seminary building at 3:00 p.m. Around 2:15 p.m., we started to pack the car. I opened up the trunk of the car and Dash knew that something was up. He started to jump in when I told him to stay out. He had seen us pack in February for the skiing trip and in March for the CA trip and now he knew we were leaving again. Tyler had said his good-bye to Dash earlier that day. When Dash saw Tyler all dressed up in his suit and the suit cases being rolled out to the car, he knew that something was going on. We all got in the car and started down the road. I looked back to see Dash waiting on the driveway for us to come back in a while. When we arrived at the Seminary building, some of Tyler's friends were there to say their goodbye's. Tyler had said his goodbye's on his facebook page earlier that afternoon. His grandparents got there and we waited for President Willard. President Willard welcomed us and asked Tyler to come in his office first for a few minutes while he talked to him. Then he came out and invited us to his office. President Willard asked Dale and Grandpa Tonks to come up and help with the blessing. What a beautiful blessing that was given to Tyler. After the setting apart, there stood our missionary son! He looked so good and ready for the work. President Willard took a family picture and then I took one with Elder Rasmussen and President Willard. I couldn't believe that our youngest was now a missionary and leaving home.
Elder Rasmussen said his goodbye's to his grandparents and gave them their last hugs. He shook Jessica Willard's hand out in the hallway and she was the first to wish Elder Rasmussen good luck. When Tyler comes home, there will be a new Stake President. President Willard has been the Stake President for 9 1/2 years. He has been such a wonderful example to these young men to encourage them to go on missions and we are grateful for that. We walked to the car and Kim Willard and her daughters called out to Elder Rasmussen wishing him good luck! We drove to Strata and changed his phone over to Tiffany's number. There were some texts for him and he handed me the phone for me to read to him because he couldn't have a cell phone anymore. As soon as he was set apart, he let go of all the cell phones, not listening to music that wasn't appropriate, and was obeying what President Willard had asked him to do. I was so amazed by his example. It was a nice drive out to the Wasatch front. The roads were good and I was feeling emotional inside knowing this would be the last trip out with Tyler for the next two years. I guess having this be your last child at home leaving the nest makes you feel this way. We arrived in Provo and picked up Tiffany and drove over to Jason and Alicia's place to get them. Then we met Aunt Adele, Lexi and Taylor, Valerie and Dallas at the Pizza Pie in Provo and ate dinner. It really was a nice evening. Then we looked outside and it was snowing!!! We couldn't believe it. The second time we have a dinner in Tyler's honor, it snows....go figure. After Jason and Alicia, Adele, Taylor and Lexi said their goodbye's, we got Tiffany's stuff and headed to Clearfield to spend the night at Valerie and Dallas' place. Tiffany was playing some music in the car and a song came up and Tyler said, "Tiffany I can't listen to that kind of music". She immediately changed it. Elder Rasmussen really had the missionary spirit about him. I was so impressed by how he was obeying the rules of the missionary. It was a nice evening in Clearfield.

Lexi, Aunt Adele, Taylor, Elder Rasmussen

Good friends!

Lexi with her cousin Tiffany
Tyler with his cousin Taylor
Jason and Alicia

Dallas and Valerie and Baby girl.

No comments: